Unlike the grand production of past years’ New Year’s Eve celebrations, this year’s was quite…simple. Coming from our holiday n Aklan, I was too tired to prepare my usual fare here in Manila. Plus, The Hubby was quite sick. Good thing I was still able to cook a few comfort dishes, particularly my Caramelized Onion Dip. I promised two years ago that I would share the recipe with you. So here it is, finally. You can use chorizo or bacon (this time, I used bacon). Serve this with toasted French bread or crackers.
Caramelized Onion and Cheese Dip
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup shredded regular cheese
- ½ cup Quick Melt (or Gruyere or Mozarella, if your budget allows)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonaise
- salt and ground white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet until crispy. Drain excess oil on paper towel. Chop or crumble.
- Using the leftover bacon fat, cook onions. Add sugar and cook over medium-high heat until the onions turn golden brown. Be careful not to burn the onions. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix together sour cream and mayo. Add the chopped bacon, cheese, and onion mixture. Mix together well and transfer to baking dishes. I used my Spanish cazuelas which I got free from cheese that I bought in Spain last year. 🙂
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
Food for Thought:
A New Year’s resolution is something that goes in one Year and out the other.