Been so busy lately, what with my company staging a big concert for the Archdiocese of Manila called “Patron of the Arts”. Between that and preparing for the holidays, I make it a point to visit one of my favorite sites, Pinterest, at least once a day. You will understand why when you see photos such as the one above. Seeing beautiful photos on the boards of other people really keep me inspired.
Incidentally, this wonderful concoction of peppermint ice cream and hot cocoa ‘affogato’ looks so yummy that I will blatantly post the recipe here. But please, do visit A Couple Cooks for the complete details. Merry Christmas!
Peppermint Ice Cream and Hot Cocoa “Affogato”by: a Couple CooksMakes: 4What You Need
- 14-ounce can regular coconut milk
- 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups soy milk (or milk)
- Peppermint candies (a few for garnish)What To Do
- A few hours prior to serving, make the ice cream: In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cans coconut milk, ½ cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 teaspoons peppermint extract. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker (or make it without the machine). When complete, freeze the ice cream for around 2 to 3 hours to obtain a hard texture.
- In glass 2-cup measuring cup, place 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons honey, ¼ cup warm water and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (if using). Microwave for about 20 seconds to heat briefly, then whisk or stir together until combined.
- Add a bit of the soy milk and whisk it in to temper the mixture. Once it is incorporated, add the remainder of the 2 cups of milk.
- Microwave for 2½ to 3 minutes until hot, or for the stovetop method, heat the mixture over medium heat until hot, taking care that it does not boil.
- To serve, crush the peppermint candies. Place a scoop or two of ice cream in a bowl or glass, then sprinkle with peppermint candies. At the table, pour hot chocolate over the ice cream. Enjoy!